Tutorial: workbench

Translated by Dellolyn
Malekiths workbench
First of all, if you want to paint and create regularly it is helpful to have a fixed place for this. I have one and very happy about this :). So I can sit down and paint for 10 min, and paint every chance I get. Before that I waste 30 min. to prepare my workbench.

Cutting-mat
My first cutting mat DinA4 was big enough for a short time. Now you can see it is much bigger and I also think it boost your creativity.

Wet palette
Tutorial by me you finde here.

Water bowl
The Water bowl I use is one of plastic or glass. Some painters prefer a glass one because they can strip off their brush at the glass to check the consistency of the colour. I also buy a glass with brushholder, it is useful for cleaning your brushes.
I use 4 glasses regularly, right one for sculpting, left one for the airbrush with cleaner in it and the rest are then for painting ;). The last one is for metallic paints only, because the metallic pigments vitiate the other colours and ruin the miniature. 

Lamp
First I bought 2-3 architect-lamps by IKEA. They are cheap and easy to carry with you. It was a pain that the lamp hasn't a switch on the lamp itself, so I have to twist the cable around the socket to have the switch in reach.

I used a 60watt daylight bulb, anything higher is too bright for me. It is important to use a clean daylight bulb (white light). A cold light shines blue and a warm light shines yellow, so your colours does not look right after painting outdoor in the sunlight.

Later I bought a
 daylightlamp because you do not need a second lamp and it does not dazzle you because of the diffuse light.

Hair-blower
A cheap tool that does not fail :).

Drawer
Drawers are useful to have a clean workbench. I use plastic shells to arrange the things in the drawer. So it is easy to put in and out of them.

Racks
I use simple racks for my colours. I sort my colours by the colour range, so it's easier for me to work with. Washes, inks, glow colours, and clear colours standing in small groups off side.
Storage 
For the storage I put most used things in clear boxes.


Rest of the things I keep in open boxes in a dry cellar. You also can use your cellar to dry things you collected in the nature. But it is very important to keep the boxes open, else they become foul and began to mold. Remember this all only can be done in a dry cellar!

Painting evenings
It is also nice to have the place to do painting evenings with your friends.

Bafraus workbench
 
Dellolyns workbench

All a hobby room have to exhibit. A place for me and for a freind for painting party, space for materials and MUSIK! ;-) (if you look closely... epic monkey drums,fuck yeah!)
Workbench:
  1. space for WIP and finished minis
  2. space for materials
  3. space for tools
  4. a board with raised borders (easy to clean for modeling etc.)
  5. toolbox
  6. drawers for colors (these are from ikea)
  7. daylight lamp
  8. underlayment for painting
  9. airbrush squeezer and dustbin
  10. modern jukebox ;-)
  1. bord with raised borders 
  2. underlayment for painting
  3. brushes
  4. drawers for colors
  5. cleaning pot for the airbrush (a must have)
  6. toolbox including knifes, pipettes, etc...
  7. blow-dryer
  8. wetpalett
  9. mixed palett
  10. thiner and water
  11. airbrush cleaner, jar-cleaner (Sidolin streifenrei for blendings), stillwater, etc
  12. chromatic circle ( small help for the color choice)
  13. daylight lamp
  14. webcam for painting party via skype
  15. marble floortile as sculpting underlayer
  16. water pot
  17. handkerchiefs

No comments:

Post a Comment