Me and my socket #1 (english+german)

                                                                                            

Hello my bloggerfriends!

Days ago i posted (here) a small teaser about two coming basing tutorials. Now it´s time to show you my way of doing the it. I will show you a way to build a nice, easy an creative socket for our little friends. 'Nice, easy and creative` is your own opinion, but maybe i can help you to do this with the demonstrate of my techniques. 

I would like to start with a socket, which i built some month ago. It was built for the mini from Enigma Lathiem Oakleaf. I started to paint the mini at the painting class of Stefan Rath aka derwish at the beginning of this year. Because i still have a bag of Alabster stones from the Pk-Pro shop  in my hobby drawer, and since have them i would use it, it was a good time to do that. The sword of Lathiem gets the same color of the stones, and so they frame the miniature on the socket. I started with working on the wooden socket. To do that you should use a pincers or wire cutter. Don´t think to much about, how many parts you have to remove. Later on you put some paste on it, and so it´s not importend.


My first idea was to use some stones for the surface. It´s easy to glue the stones with PVA Glue. I recommend you express PVA Glue, to go faster on, but i think you can use superglue too.
But after two stones on the socket, i decided to use more acrylic structure paste instead of the stones.

The Alabaster stones doesn´t have the form what we need. But it´s easy to cut it with a pincers. But be carfully, it´s almost to easy! If you cut it long sides, it gets broken before you can controll it. So take care. After that, i used again the express PVA glue to fix the stones on the base. 

Now as already said the acrylic structure paste (Acryl Strukturpaste 500gr) found the way on the socket. I love that paste. There are three kinds of diffrent grains and it´s easy to use it. But you need more time, because it needs 2 until 3 days to dry. 

During i applyed the paste, i put more Alabaster stone in it. After the paste is dry, the stones are fixed.

After everything gets dryed, i put some Crackle Medium (also from PK-Pro) around the Albaster stones. It should be look like, that the stones growing and and comes through the surface at this points where the crackle is. Broadly speaking much carckle medium you use, the cracks gets bigger. If you use just a small fine coat, it´s getting very fine.
Special hint time (!): For a very huge and depth crack, use the already mentioned acrylic structure paste, and before it is dry, put a thick coat of Crackle Medium on it. Believe me, it´s a very nice effect ;)


This was my last step before prime coating. But i couldn´t prime the base how it was, because i would use the naturally colors and character of the Alabaster stones (whitout and washes and highlights later on). I had to find a way to cover the stones. The easiest solution: Cling film. 



After priming and put off the cling film:

I painted the unprimed parts only with some grey paint with the same colors of the primecoat.

The socket is ready to paint! This is one of the funniest part of the whole process. Take a look on the awesome tutorial of Malektih to color the base.

I hope i could explain some techniques of my doing. If you have some questions, than let me know it! I wish you a lot of fun and a happy basing!


2 comments:

  1. sehr schön geworden die base

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vielen Dank :) Das nächste Tutorial folgt!

    The next tutorial is coming!

    ReplyDelete