Daylight Colors


Why daylight colors?
They are most comparable with text markers and are very helpful with all that glows/OSL (flames, light sources, etc.) because they emit more light during daylight. Additionally there are very useful for highlights, as they allow higher contrast.

After testing out the daylight color pigments and a few mixtures, I come too the conclusion, that some colors did not achieve what I expected.
To that I utilised the matt acrylic binder from Golden to which I added alcohol and water. Otherwise I used airbrush thinner from Vallejo. After this I used a mortar for mixing, to finen the pigments in order to allow it to dissolve better. In both methods, when left in the bottle they eventually clump and the pigments dissociate from each other and become unusable for painting. Even with continuous stiring and shaking. However, the second method with the airbrush thinner was slightly better, even though when mixing with the alcohol was way more fun O:).
These were the results from stiring and getting the proportions right between colors and pigments.


The pigments are such are however useful, but could be much finer. These I bought together with a friend vrom Kremer Pigmente, however I would recommend to buy them in small quantities from pk-pro oder forgedmonkey, since it was very tidious work and one only requires so little. As far as I know, all the pigments originate from the same manufacturer.

After having tried out various daylight colors from a variety of manufacturers, only one offers pigments that are opaque -”Flashe from LEFRANC & BOURGEOIS”. I also use white and black from this manufacturer after ElCid gave me some to try and I am very pleased with them. The only disadvantade with this color is the fact that it contains a softener and therefore can only be contained in a hard plastic or glas container. All containers with PVC would make the colors dissociate. Therefore I used small 20ml containers made of hard plastic, for airbrush I made use of small glassbottles from Schmincke.
For airbrush I used the following proportions: 50% color, 35% airbrush thinner and 15% Sidolin windowcleaning product (streakfree).

Purple I obtained from mixing red and blue ;).


Pictured are the results from airbrushing green on to a base. Before, the base was airbrushed from light up to dark (2k primed), in order to see the differences better depending on the primer beneath.

1 comment:

  1. awesome stuff. What about mixing them in the right way and selling them? :p I would buy they for shure. ( way to less time but want to use them) :D

    ReplyDelete